Friday, May 1, 2009

Listening Issues...and not my 4 year old!


Ok, so I love my husband dearly...I just have to mention that before I begin.


So, we have a t-ball game this afternoon. And, at 7:30 this morning while trying to get myself dressed and ready for work, turning on cartoons to keep TJ from talking long enough to get some make-up on (the child talks more than any other I have ever seen...I swear we talk to him at home and pay him PLENTY of attention...this must be part of the only child sydrome I was referring to previously), getting him something to eat even though he will eat breakfast again at school in an hour, getting some clothes on the boy (which proves difficult on the best of days) I suddenly realize that I have fallen down on my "mommy" laudry duties. To clarify, I don't think it is a Mommy's job to always do the laundry, but my husband shrunk my favorite sweater to a size 6...and I mean 6 in girls, several years back and therefore he is not allowed to touch my clothes. I have NEVER said he can't do his own laundry however. But anyway, I have fallen down on my duty this week and have not done a load since last Friday. So, I haven't washed TJ's pants and jersey for his game tonight...nor Coach Hill's jersey! I decided it would be best to frantically get the white clothes in the wash before I left for work. Then, I went through all of the colored clothes and separated them into regular wash/delicate wash...ALL while making a mental note that I would have to call Thomas as soon as he got out of school to finish the laundry.


So, I sent Thomas a text message this afternoon when the thought popped into my head (I never know if the thought will come back or not, so I have to do it as soon as it comes). I told him to call me as soon as he got out of school. 3:04 pm my cell phone rings. I run from the front of the office to catch it because I know I may not ever get ahold of him again since he leaves his cell phone on silent "accidentally" every day after school! So, I answer and explain what I need done:


Me: "Hey, what are you doing?"


Thomas: "I'm still at school." (Like that answered the question)


Me: "Ok, well I need you to do me a favor as soon as you get home." (notice I said "me a favor"...its not really for me is it?) "I forgot to wash the t-ball clothes, so I put a load of whites in the washer this morning. I need you to put them in the dryer on the delicate cycle as soon as you get home. Then, I have set out a load of colors right by the washing machine that I need you to throw in the washer on the regular cycle, then in the dryer as soon as they are done."


Thomas: "Ok, so I just need to throw everything in the dryer?"


Me: "And..." (Please tell me you have been listening and not tuning me out while I have been going through all of the directions...what is it with your "man-listening"!!!)


Thomas: "I don't know, I was doing something else while you were talking and I didn't hear you."


OH MY GOODNESS!!! Are you kidding me?! Do all husbands have this ability to tune their wives out? We have even previously and on several occasions had this discussion about how he has selective hearing when I talk. He came up with some kind of physcology crap that men handle stress differently from women, blah, blah, blah! What does that have to do with listening? If he wasn't ready to listen to me, he should've waited to call me until he was ready, right? Well, I guess we will see if it gets done...and, if not, they can wear dirty, stinky, wet shirts! It's not gonna bother me.

5 comments:

  1. y chromosomes cause hearing loss... and inability to do two things at once. Example: listen while looking at the tv, staring at the wall, etc. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahahaha! This made me laugh...a lot...out loud!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm totally with you on this one sister! And I definitely second Holly's comment! ;)
    So what was it... Wet shirts?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, he actually figured it all out...can you believe it?! They had clean and dry shirts!

    ReplyDelete
  5. At least he fessed up and said that he wasn't listening. Jay will just tell me that I never said anything to him in the first place!

    ReplyDelete