Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Spatu-lur


I will definitely start this one off by saying I absolutely adore my father-in-law. He is one of the best men I have ever known, and I couldn't have picked a better one...and I'm not just saying that because of what I'm about to write about. That being said...here we go...

Since moving to the "Greater Valley Area" I have noticed a change in my own southern accent. However, TJ has some how grown to have a severe case of the southern accent which now may be described by some as down right redneck! I have always tried to correct him when he mispronouces words like oil, water (seriously...how do you get "wooter" from water?), ain't, etc. But, he threw me a curve ball the other day...see our coversation:

Me: "TJ, could you please go get me a spatula out of the drawer?"

TJ: "Spatu-lur, Mom...it's Spatu-lur."

Me: (Knowing exactly where he heard it from and trying not to laugh) "Um, no honey, it's not. It's spatu-la."

TJ: (Getting relatively upset and red-faced at this point) "NO MOM, it's Spatu-lar! That's what my Papa says...Spatu-lur!!!!!!!"

Me: (As calmly as possible, still trying to hold my laughter at bay) "Ok, ok...I know that's how Papa says it, but its really spatu-la. You say it however you want to."

Now, here's the kicker...Thomas comes home and I go about telling him the above story to which he says (let me remind you that my husband is no longer 5 years old...he's actually 27): "I thought it was spatu-lur too!" AND HE WAS SERIOUS!!!!!!

4 comments:

  1. Okay, that is HILARIOUS. What's different about our house is that Lucy is the one correcting me and Bert! "Momma, it's not Tewsday! It's Tuesday."

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH MY GOODNESS... You have me rolling. I'm sorry, but I just LOVE that southern accent! That story is too cute! I'm glad you wrote it down!! Love ya girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bet Thomas thinks idea is idear too...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ashlee, You always having my laughing with your writting. You need to write a book. Too funny.

    ReplyDelete